Internet Etiquette

MaryBe

Does anyone have a problem with responses to private posts. I personally like to send some form of acknowledgement upon receipt of same.
It really bothers me when there is no acknowledgement be it good or bad.
Manners does not cost anything.

Do you mean private messages?

And do you send a response even if the message was unsolicited?

Solicited or not, I don't respond 100% of the time - you can end up with to-ing and fro-ing for no real reason other than both posters attempting to sign off as politely as possible.

Some posts quite obviously require a response - and I respond to them.
I would respond to any PM at least once - providing it's not abusive. Some posts do not seem to require a response or else I sometimes feel that there is nothing more to say on the subject and therefore I don't respond to them. Maybe sometimes I make the wrong call on this though and may inadvertently appear rude.

Unless the PM is rude/disturbing or in some way inappropriate I think it's bad form not to respond - after all, if you would prefer not to receive PMs you can always change your personal settings accordingly.

Having first checked you haven't written to me recently.............

It depends on the message to be honest. I've had PMs seeking clarity on something I posted, I respond to that....... asking for my professional opinion on something, I respond to that. Some friendly banter, yes I'd respond to that. It would be a rare day that I wouldn't reply to a PM, but then I rarely get them and certainly never had anything I would consider to be abusive. I wouldn't respond to that, I'd just copy it over to a mod and let them deal with it.

On reflection I probably haven't responded to a few un-solicited PM's but then I consider that to be my perogative.

Mary, PM me anytime, and I'll write back to ya love.

I always acknowledge any PM's recieved.

Does anyone have a problem with responses to private posts. I personally like to send some form of acknowledgement upon receipt of same.
It really bothers me when there is no acknowledgement be it good or bad.
Manners does not cost anything.

Maybe the poster just hasn't checked messages yet?? -

I have ( I believe) responded to any PM's received. I don't believe that I have initiated any PM on AAM. I haven't received any rude or abusive PM's. I generally prefer to answer on the forum but if a poster wants some particular clarification which they feel best kept off forum then I'm generally ok by that. PM's are not really an issue as I've noticed only had less than 40 in total between in and out in all my time on AAM.

Solicited or not, I don't respond 100% of the time - you can end up with to-ing and fro-ing for no real reason other than both posters attempting to sign off as politely as possible.

You hang up.....no, you hang up.....no, you first.....no, you first......