Internet Connection for a Student.

N

Niamh!

Hi guys,
I just bought a new laptop and I am trying to get Internet Connection! I am a student and purchasing the laptop pretty much wiped my bank balance so i was shocked and pretty disappointed to realise the cost of getting internet connection with eircom! The problem is I am living in a new set of apartments that have never had a phone line! Eircom have told me that it will cost around €120 to get the phone number and a further €150 deposit because I am in rented accomodation! Then my bills will be at least €30 per month just for the phone line! The lady I was dealing with at Eircom was incredibly unhelpful so she didn't suggest any other options to me. Do any of you know of a cheaper option?

While I wouldn't recommend them on reliability, Irish Broadband offer wireless broadband for €19.99, no phone line required, no line rental, no connection fee, no contract, so might be worth trying out.

Digiweb also offer wireless broadband, but at €35 per month.

I wouldn't really expect an Eircom sales rep to give you any objective advice.

Are you sure you need broadband right now? Can you not make use of (free?) internet access in college?

Thats great, will check them out! I'm doing a thesis so I need internet access 24/7!!!!

Maybe one of your neighbours has broadband and a wireless setup that they might allow you to share assuming that your laptop has wireless built in or you buy a card to enable this?

Do you really need internet access 24/7 to do a thesis? Surely you have to actually spend some time offline writing the thesis!