Internet Access Question

DOBBER22

Can anybody advise who is the cheapest provider for Internet only access at present?....yes I'm hoping to set myself up at home soon after scoring a good deal on a tasty new laptop ;)

Think it boils down to phone line rental.
Some broadband is wireless (e.g. ) or doesn't need a phone line (e.g. [broken link removed], a friend of mine has cancelled his eircom land line and gone voip with http://www.blueface.ie).

Most broadband offerings are DSL, and need a phone line. Of recent there are deals that include line rental. (e.g. [broken link removed], http://esatbt.com/echannel/esat.portal).

But then you might be a happy eircom customer...

DOBBER22 said:
I did find this link has anybody taken up the Alternative Broadband subscription for 25 yoyo's a month, if so whats the service like? I must say it sounds like good value and wireless too...I think we may have a winner or can anybody else beat that?

http://www.finfacts.com/Private/bestprice/broadband.htm

Are you sure that it's in your area? Their website suggests that it's only available in areas of Kildare while your profile says that you are of no fixed abode.

By the way - bit naughty of Finfacts to wrap the Government broadband website and make it look like their own content. Tut, tut...

See the specs below availability states 99% but I'm sure a quick email will clarify this but can anybody confirm whether this is a genuine good deal or not? Comon Tech heads :)

DetailsSpecificationProvider:Alternative BroadbandWebsite:www.alternative-broadband.comEmail:info@sallinswan.orgTelephone:045 855000Product Name:Home LiteProduct Type:Fixed WirelessDownload Speed:0.512MbpsUpload Speed:128KbpsContention Ratio:24:1Monthly Subscription Fee:€25Connection Fee (including equipment):€200Additional Charges:Minimum Subscription Period:Minimum 2 monthsLatency:<10Jitter:2Service Level/Availability:99%Additional Services Offered:2 X Email, 50MB Webspace

DOBBER22 said:
Service Level/Availability:99%

This describes the Service Level Agreement and just means that the service will be available on average 99% of the time. It does not refer to national coverage/availability. Alternative Broadband seem to offer their services only in parts of Kildare and not nationally.

ClubMan said:
"Service Level/Availability: 99%" means that the service will be available on average 99% of the time. It does not refer to national coverage/availability. Alternative Broadband seem to only offer their services in parts of Kildare.

Yes I was thinking that couldn't be right so I popped off and email to them a while ago so hopefully will have an answer soon.

Hi D****,

Unfortunately we don’t have the wireless broadband service available in the ******** area.

Regards,
Ursula

Alternative Broadband
SallinsWAN

DOH!

[broken link removed]

Hi Dobber22

Just recently upgraded from dial up to broadband, after months upon months of waiting for a service provider to offer broadband in our area ... up poped Irish Broadband. Initially, the service was a little unreliable but it seems to be getting better, with less lost connections (although I'd like to see them crank up the signal strength a bit further !)

They offer a product called "RipWave" for home use, at €29.99 per month for continued access on & off peak, no limits on downloads etc.

First preferance should always be for broadband rather than dial up internet access imho - much faster, more reliable service.

Keep an eye on usage limitations, both upload & download limits, speeds etc ... it's not as simple as the cheapest package is the best I'm afraid :)

Enjoy

G>

Garrettod said:
up poped Irish Broadband.

Habemus Internet!

Initially, the service was a little unreliable but it seems to be getting better, with less lost connections (although I'd like to see them crank up the signal strength a bit further !)

Sounds like my two separate experiences of IBB alright. Good when it works but can be very variable in terms of throughput and reliability. We are currently on a 3Mbps 6:1 IBB link but only until our dedicated leased line arrives.

They offer a product called "RipWave" for home use, at €29.99 per month for continued access on & off peak, no limits on downloads etc.

Bear in mind that people have had mixed experience with this product and the IBB rep that I spoke to recently said that they regretted ever rolling it out as a product due to the support problems.

Thanks for the info folks can you advise if the IBB Ripwave product is wireless, I don't have a phone line installed at the moment not too happy about getting cables run all over the house either so the less fuss the better really 29.99 is still pretty reasonable and hey if you have a problem with it you can always tell them where to stick it....nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose.
But I will keep looking for a better option until thats all I'm left with.

A quick check of the will confirm that all of their broadband offerings are wireless and do not require a phone line. Note that Ripwave is only available in certain parts of south County Dublin and that Breeze, while more widely available, may not be available everywhere either. As far as I know IBB only offer services in Dublin just in case that's relevant.

Thanks Clubman it seems then a lot of the cheaper companies are tied to certain locations which is disapointing but I refuse to pay Eircom for any service I'd go without rather than give them a cent.

DOBBER22 said:
Thanks Clubman it seems then a lot of the cheaper companies are tied to certain locations which is disapointing but I refuse to pay Eircom for any service I'd go without rather than give them a cent.

I think it's more a case of wireless providers only being licensed to operate in certain areas. In general the options for non landline based broadband (e.g. ADSL) are cable (e.g. from cable TV service providers such as ntl:, Chorus etc. in certain areas), wireless (e.g. Leap, IBB etc.) or satellite (e.g. DigiWeb - not cheap). The three links in my first post in this topic might be of help when looking at broadband options.

Back