International Timber frame Companies

D

Danetal

We are planning to build a one storey playroom/ utility room at the end of the garden (35sqm approx). Planning permission has be got.

We are wondering has anyone had expereince with European Timber Frame companies - Poland maybe. Any contact or experiences/ opinions would be very welcome.

I know I could google for a list but I am really interested in hearing from people who have already dealt with companies.

WOuld have to say you are way better off dealing with companies on the Island, both from a come back point of view and a logistics point of view.
say one side has a window ope just to small....what to you do ship it back to poland!! I have seen one of these units put up on the Grand Designs porgram on C4 recently and the company involved was called baufritz. don't think they are in ireland but they did seem to produce a very good quality product but i shuddered to think of what it costs considering the number of engineers and archs involved!! At the end of the day you will pay for top quality and that would apply across the board....Ireland, europe, china!!

PS no link with that company you will find there details on the channel 4 website.

No I am not a 'shill'.

The only reason I asked the question was that i had got details of many Irish companies from this website which I will be checking out, of course.I was just curious as to the what else was out there. I thought that is what this forum was for.

I take all your points about 'come-back' and problems etc.

Your most important issue should actually be certification. Any reputable company will have NSAI IAB (even BBA) certification, this proves suitablility for use in the irish climate. Without proper certification you will have problems getting finance and getting insurance. To date i have not come across any polish or chinese TF companies that have an IAB cert. I have come across some that havent and i have witnessed first hand the issues this raises.

Thanks for that useful tip - It is making me more inclined to stay local.

What such issues Syd? Did you buy abroad and have a bad exp?
the only reason I ask is that I was informed rightly or wrongly that a CE certificate where aplicable would superseed any such IAB cert that was available. The main one would be house stablility insurance such as home bond and the like but this could be got around using an engineers report.
From what I know the CE certificate is there to enhance fair and open trade in european markets so all the new accession states should have companies that supply materials to this specification.

you are correct about HOMEBOND, i saw a housing development that had to change TF suppliers midway because HOMEBOND wouldnt stand over them (eventually premier did, with a bit of remedial works to them).

You are correct about the CE being a mark of suitability of material or manufacture to conform with european directives, however you are incorrect that it superceds the IAB cert. The IAB testing includes issues such as compliance with irish building regs (structure, fire, ventilation, materials and workmanship, energy conservation, disabled access etc etc)which CE does not.
Its perfectly suitable in determining the performance of a material, but not for a prefabricated structure.

You will find that it is incrediably difficult to get an architect / engineer to certify the compliance of prefabricated structures with irish building regs without an IAB (or sometimes BBA) cert. Its up to the supplying companies to prove compliance, which costs a lot of money.

Back