International removal companies

waltzer

Has anyone used an international furniture removal company? I will be moving the contents of an apartment from Dublin to Vienna this summer and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

We used Beverly Smyth to move from Vienna to Dublin a few years ago:

[broken link removed]

We were very happy with them.

I also used Beverly Smith about 7 years ago for an international move. Having used a number of different companies over the years I must say they were fantastic, absolutely the best movers I've ever dealt with. The US company that picked up the shipment at the other end were very impressed with the quality of the packing and the materials, as was I. I think they were maybe a little more expensive than some of the competitors but they were a pleasure to work with, very friendly and professional.

I'm moving to Germany at the end of the month. Got a couple of quotes and then organised a quote from the firm which my company uses as relocators (I'm not getting a relocation package as part of my move but was able to get the contact). I sort of innocently assumed that they would probably be a bit more expensive than other quotes but it'd be worth it to know I was using a reliable firm (and the weight of my company name behind me even if it was me paying the bill). Because I thought I'd go with them I didn't bother getting any more quotes so I was very disappointed to have to chase them for the quote and then find it was over a grand more than any other.

So, back to the drawing board and I pulled all the recommendations off this thread yesterday and am working my way through them now.

The latest quote I got also stipulated that payment in full was due at the time of collection. That struck me as strange but maybe it's not - can anyone here share their experiences? I suppose I was expecting maybe to pay half on collection and half on delivery or something (although I can see that since I'm leaving the country they might want to make sure of payment). What's the norm (if there is one)?