International Car hire

Gunnerbar

Is it possible to car hire in one country and drop off in another.

Were hoping to go head to Carcassonne in Sept and drop of in Gerona in Spain 10 days later. Well actually, I know it's possible as I rang ebookers.ie and was told that I would have to pay 400 yo yos extra for the privelage, bringing the spend up to about 650.

Are there any companys that would delight in a request of this nature or is it a kind of a no no.

Any help appreciated as hoping to book soon. Thanks.

Any rental company will charge you heftily for the privilege of doing cross border one ways ... The problem is that they can't rent a French registered car in Spain and vv. so they've basically then got to pay for it to be driven/transported back to France - hence the extra charge.

You should be able to find a company doing "in-country" one ways with little or no fees - shop around and you'll find something here ... but cross border I don't think you'll find .. if you do let us know !

Maybe consider hiring the car in Carcassone , driving to Perpignan (or wherever the closest rental office to the border is) .. the get the train to spain and hire another car there ... would work out cheaper I'm sure.

car hire is generally cheaper in spain, so renting one in france, taking the train to the border, then getting another car in spain may work out cheaper.

Thanks for the replies.

I rang Hurtz and they said that there would be a hefty surcharge on this. Am going to rent seperately in both countries and bus over to Girona from Perpignan for 19 euros.

We are only going for 9/10 days but would like to hit some nice small villages along the way. Collioure was mentioned before in a thread as was Cerbere. Is Argeles-Sur-Mere worth a visit in September.

In Spain we were thinkin of Cadeques as was recommended here I think. Think Roses wasn't.

Any other places on the Coast worth visiting maybe not so touristy but I suppose in mid September most of those pesky tourists will have left :D ? Then maybe a day/night in Barca and on to Gerona for home.

definately stop off in Collioure for a visit, the castle is very pretty when lit up at night and theres loads of nice restaurants to eat in. the ones in the sqare or along by the river are the nicest, although I've been told there are nice ones along the beach front too. gets very busy in summer, but september should be ok.
if you're into shopping, there's a place called Le Pertus (spelling may be wrong!) on the french/spanish border. its basically one street, you can get great value on cosmetics, electrical equipment (although I always steer clear of these because you have no comeback if anything goes wrong), designer sunglasses, handbags, sportswear, etc, etc. a shoppers haven.

Back