Internal insulation/drylining

bamboozle

Hi All,

I’m interested in improving the insulation on the internal side of the exterior walls of my house, I have new windows ordered and they are due to be fitted in the next 4 weeks, so I wonder if it would be wiser to do this before the new windows are fitted or after?

after, then you can see what thicknesses you can play with at openings.

make sure your windows are well sealed ie no air draughs.

I guess some sort of tape might be a way to go. I'm considering using Contega FC Masonry Junction Tape as supplied by ecological building systems. (to seal new windows to masonary) [broken link removed] shows what I'm on about.

Siga also provide some similiar products. www.siga.ch for more info including contact information for Andreas Schmidt who I found particularly helpful.
Again, I've no interest in either company, only a potential customer. (Nor am I a technical expert in this field)

As fran says.

Expanded foam is ok for filling large gaps, but its not actually air tight, its actually air permeable. Using a proprietory tape such as siga is the best route to take.

You could use illbruck airtight membrane 'Compriband i '. No affiliation with producers or stockists!

Any ideas guys if any of these products are stocked in many builders' providers? I've tried two locally & neither of them had a clue what I was talking about??

One other suggestion for smaller gaps (<10mm) given to me was to seal around inside of window with silicone prior to slabbing/plastering. I tried it in my own build & appeared to eliminate any draughts which were very noticeable prior to sealing.

Aparently Keating Insulation Wexford have it, I'm not definate though, so my apologies if they dont. No affiliation.