Interior Design Question

deanwood

Hey,

I have just purchased my kitchen units in beech and was just going to buy beech wooden flooring when my father commented that he wouldn't have the same type of wood for the kitchen units and the floor.My mother disagrees with him as its not a huge ktichen/dining area. Brother agrees with my dad and just asked my friend what she thinks and she agress with my mother! I am paying enough for the flooring so I don't want to make a mistake getting the wrong wood so if anyone has any opinions/comments I would appreciate it

thanks

Re: Interior Design Question!!

Personally I wouldn't have a wooden floor in the kitchen, (risk of water damage etc). I think you would get a nicer contrast if you used a porceline ?sp. tile. The wooden floor and the units would be too much wood I think.

Sorry, didn't make myself clear, I am having tiles on the kitchen area and having wooden floors on the dining area.

I'd say you'd be alright - are you getting beech laminte or solid ? Beech is probably the best colour to do this kind of thing in as it is not too "in your face" - it does also depend on the size of the kitchen / dinning area and how much light it gets throughout the day

I would prefer to use a different colour timber as all the same colour might look bland.

the beech is a semi solid, my other problem is (there seems to be so many!) is that my table and chairs are a darker wood and I'm not too sure about having 3 different woods in the room.

We had this split in our previous house of timber/tiles and it never looked right unless the room is exceptionally big with a marked difference between sections I think it makes the area look bigger with the same flooring throughout. would then go for either tiles or marmoleum as a nice
contrast to the kitchen.

deanwood,

Mrs d2 is a qualified (though not practising...arrrrrgh :mad: ) interior designer...I'll ask her for some informed info....If there is such a thing !

r2d2

What's the layout - is the kitchen area in the same room as the dining area? What kind of tiles are you thinking of?

I think a mixture of woods looks lovely.
Agree with FOBS though would not break up the area would use tiles throughout.

I was in a similar situation to you. We were going to go with tiles for the whole area but felt it would be a bit cold so decided to just tile the area inside the kitchen units. Haven't done it yet but have got the timber down on the floor. Our units are beech and we got an oak floor. Our table and chairs are ash. The ash looks almost the same as the floor and I think it looks lovely but I think that having a floor that contrasts with the units also looks better than having them matching.

Its a kitchen dining area the size is
Living Room 3.55 x 3.85m
+ 2.0 x 0.7m Kitchen / Dining 3.65 x 3.55m
the thing about is its so hard to visualise what its going to end up like.
I agree with mainie I think just tiling on its own looks a bit cold. R2D2 would appreciate if you ask the Mrs R2D2 her opinion

Get a few m2 from shop you intend to purchase and lay it down loosely. If you like it go for it and dont listen to anyone else. We all have different tastes.

Its a kitchen dining area the size is
Living Room 3.55 x 3.85m
+ 2.0 x 0.7m Kitchen / Dining 3.65 x 3.55m
the thing about is its so hard to visualise what its going to end up like.
I agree with mainie I think just tiling on its own looks a bit cold. R2D2 would appreciate if you ask the Mrs R2D2 her opinion

Hi there
I think dividing a space this size in two different floors would be difficult unless they are very complementary. For all in one, I agree that wood isn't right for the kitchen and tiles are very cold.
What about vinyl? It's not cold, really easy to clean (like wiping plastic) and the best thing is that there is a fantastic choice of all kinds of colours and designs. I found choosing nice tiles really difficult but vinyl's cool. AND it's easy to take up again. I browsed the Armstrong site, asked them for a few samples, and ordered from a supplier in Dublin. Ended up with a really cool kitchen floor. I've moved to a house with a badly tiled kitchen floor and I just want to put vinyl on it.
http://www.armstrong.com/resflram/na/sheet/en/us/browse_by_design.asp

Hi deanwood...

Sorry it's taken so long but Mrs d2 said that as long as you have tiles in the kitchen then using the same wood type to floor the dining room as you have in your units is fine in theory...she said that the tiles would create the necessary contrast and then waffled on about continuity, flow and some other mumbo jumbo....

r2d2

thanks R2D2 and thanks Mrs R2D2 I think I am going to go with that flooring. Of course I could be back here in a few months complaining that I hate it but then only one person I can blame....me!:)

Hi,
We have beech presses and have decided on tiles - black slate. contrast is great. Beech on both press and floor might be cold if you have pale colour on the wall too. At same time everyone to their own so it's your call.
Were putting chocolate brown tile on bathroom floor with sandy colour tiles on wall. My family think I'm nuts but I think it will be great as it will look like wooden floor.

seriams for my bathroom upstairs I'm getting cream colour tiles and the flooring looks like bamboo also the border for the tiles is picking up the colour of the floor tiles. have to say it looks fab I am hoping that it will turn out as good as I think it will!

Back