Interior design blinds/curtains question

annR

I've just moved into a new house where all the windows have roller blinds installed, as do most of the houses in that area.

I find that I've no privacy with the blinds up, and the place is too dark with the blinds down. I really can't see how they're any good unless you're asleep or not at home.

Are there any blinds which let plenty of light in and yet give privacy or am I going to have to go with net curtains and normal curtain combo.

The house is a little dark anyway and needs as much light as it can get - the blinds are making me feel like I live in a twilight zone.

I have wooden venetian blinds & they are lovely & you can have them open during the day while still maintaining some privacy...........but they do darken the room down a good deal. Not sure what other alternatives there are as I am not willing to put up net curtains.

You could always try sheers. They are somewhat similar to nets (in that they drape your window) but don't usually have a pattern and are a different softer material.
When we lived in an estate we didn't want rollerblinds at the front as sometimes it can be very obvious if there is nobody in the house if away for a long time. With the sheers people can't see in in the daytime but you can see out so it really doesn't restrict light.

I got these sheer blinds and I like them. They let loads of light in and do provide privacy. They look just like roller blinds from outside though so it can look weird to have blinds pulled down during the day but I just have them halfway down. Would recommend them. Hickeys or clerys or any of the usuals have them. Hickeys also had cool white sheer blind thing that worked like a venetian but that was really expensive.