Interesting small tree for shaded spot

David_Dublin

Hi. We've a north facing "alcove" in the back garden with a bed in it. There is literally no direct sunlight, though it's not a particularly dark spot as 2 of the 3 surrounding "walls" are glass and so there's light. Inside and outside at the same level, the inside room is about 2.75 metres tall, the windows are that tall too.

The bed is about 2 metres by 1 metre. The 2 windows are into living areas in the house, and I have a cable run into the bed that would run a light or two, ideally what we plant will be an outside feature visible from inside.

We tried a tree fern there but it didn't prosper. I'm now thinking some sort of acer, ideally one whose leaves change colour through the seasons, and maybe an interesting bark.

I don't want it getting too big, as I'd like the "feature" to be the whole tree, rather than a trunk. Any ideas what to plant, and how to look after it so it doesn't grow too tall and looks good. I came across Acer palmatum 'Sango-kaku', looks pretty interesting.

A bamboo might work. Some of them can handle low-light conditions well. They would also be easy to keep to a defined height, can be easily cut back. There are many sorts - any good garden centre could recommend. If you're in Dublin, the Johnstown garden centre has lots.

I have a lovely Arbutus unedo, (also known as a strawberry tree though the fruits are not as good as strawberries alas). It is a native Irish shrub, which is evergreen with lovely clusters of white flowers, just starting now, as well as beautiful red fruits, which have developed from last years flowers, so both appear at the same time. Mine is in a shady spot about the size you describe and after 10 years growth it is about 10 foot tall now. I will prune back the lower branches soon and reveal the trunk and bark more.
Screenshot_20240912_113200_WhatsApp.jpg

Thanks all. The strawberry tree looks very attractive, but seems to like full sun or partial shade. Maybe that just means it would grow more slowly if fully shaded, though it might not prosper at all.

I don't really want bamboo, we have elsehwere, and really I'm looking for a specimen tree. We thought the tree fern would be good but it just didn't take, very surprisingly. We might have got unlucky, but reluctant to try again.

There are so few trees out there that are described as for fully shaded....i guess all things like a bit of sun.

Tree ferns need attention and protection in the winter. Was it in the ground or a pot? My arbutus is in a lot of shade, it is close to the house (east facing) and the neighbours high hedge on the south side, and also big tree on the street - east side casting shade much of the day.
Does your spot get overhead light during the day?

I often think about a standard hawthorn tree, which looks very pretty. I'd love one. Lovely flowers in spring and fruits in autumn. They grow in woodlands as well as hedgerows.

Holly could be good in shade too. Is the space used by people? (Holly leaves very prickly underfoot if walking around in bare feet ).

Perhaps not enough rain was getting to the tree fern? they like damp shady spots. It does grow very slowly. It is evergreen but the new shoots developing in the crown need protection from frost so some fleece/leaves on that spot.

Tree ferns need attention and protection in the winter. Was it in the ground or a pot? My arbutus is in a lot of shade, it is close to the house (east facing) and the neighbours high hedge on the south side, and also big tree on the street - east side casting shade much of the day.
Does your spot get overhead light during the day?

I often think about a standard hawthorn tree, which looks very pretty. I'd love one. Lovely flowers in spring and fruits in autumn. They grow in woodlands as well as hedgerows.

Holly could be good in shade too. Is the space used by people? (Holly leaves very prickly underfoot if walking around in bare feet ).
I didn't have mine thru a winter. When we got rid (taken back by the nursery) it had two fronds still curled up, this was in August. They reckoned they could get it back to life, gave us a credit note. It had light from above, yes.

Hawthorn is an idea. We thought of Holly before, also worth thinking about. The space isn't used, it's an alcove with no doors, one side wall, 2 side glass, the openside facing north onto lawn.

Perhaps not enough rain was getting to the tree fern? they like damp shady spots. It does grow very slowly. It is evergreen but the new shoots developing in the crown need protection from frost so some fleece/leaves on that spot.
Yeah I watered it 2 or 3 times a week on the crown and the entire stem or root. It just didn't like it there I think, for whatever reason. It was in the ground.

Sometimes too much watering can be a problem.

Just thinking, a fastigiate yew could work well as a specimen, its slow growing, evergreen, regal.
Also perhaps a bed of blue bells below for spring? or a series of bulbs to bloom throughout the year?

Or an understory of geranium sanquinium (a native) or geranium roxanne (beautiful bluey flowers) for summer colour.
A few hellebores for early spring flowers, I got a beautiful pale yellow one from Mount Venus nursery in Rathfarnham, they have a lovely range of plants. They also have lovely planting schemes for small areas. My brother got a beautiful selection of flowers for a small area of border.
Good luck! Lovely project!

I'm thinking an Acer. Maybe the palmatum orange dream. I like the bushier variety, smaller than a lot of the acers, nice variety of colour thru the seasons. Albeit a compromise to have a deciduous.

Back