Integrated kitchen units - yes/no

G

Graipad

Hi, just moving house again. I never had this problem in my old house as the option wasn't there.

I have three big gaping holes in my kitchen and my builder asked whether I'll be getting integrated kitchen units.

Aesthetically they might look a little nicer but are they really worth it?

I quickly did a search on DID web site and to be honest the variety isn't great, plus they appear to be more expensive than your ordinary unit.

Has anyone any problems with such units? I heard of problems with the panelling coming off over time etc... Any thoughts would be aprreciated.

Thanks.

Has anyone any problems with such units? I heard of problems with the panelling coming off over time etc
FWIW, my last kitchen had integrated and thought they were great. 5 years and no issues. moved house last year, SH house, utilities not integrated. New kitchen planned for next year and will def get integrated again. see [broken link removed] for contractors for prices.

You are right about the selection of electrics that are intregrated. My friends mam had to replace her fridge as the the door broke due to not it been to heavy to open. It was not the first time i heard of this happening the presses cannot cope with the door of the appilance.

Our appliances are integrated and while I agree the selection of appliances isn't as big as non-integrated ones, our kitchen has cream doors, so white appliances would look out of place & imo the integrated appliances make the kitchen look neater and more streamlined.

We found the integrated fridge freezer and dish washer prices to be about €50 more but the integrated washing machine cost about €250 more than the non-intergrated one for the same model.

We had a carpenter fit the doors and 2.5 years later we have had no problems.

You could also go for semi -integrated appliances (as I did). I have installed a cream kitchen with stainless steel appliances, but didn't want it looking like an operating theatre. In the semi-integrated appliances a small amount of the appliance is shown ie. the control buttons, digital readout etc. I think it looks really well and makes the kitchen look bigger compared to what I had (non-integrated).
This is the kind of thing I mean:

Hi,
Kiddo said:
We had a carpenter fit the doors

...but you can fit the doors yourself if you have them already made to size? Do the integrated units come with the customary small plastic bag of screws, clamps and instruction manual etc...?

Ophelia, something nice about the semi integrated look alright.

Looks like I need to squeeky boot it around the shops and see what they actually have.

Thanks guys.

Graipad said:
...but you can fit the doors yourself if you have them already made to size? Do the integrated units come with the customary small plastic bag of screws, clamps and instruction manual etc...?

I'm sure you can. Neither of us are DIY minded so it was a safer option to pay an expert;)

If it were me I'd definitely get standalone appliances. There's a wider choice, they're cheaper, if there's a leak or problem they're easier to get at and when they need replaced they are easy to swap out and have the delivery guy take away the old one. I would be inclined to put practicality and cost ahead of aesthetics; I don't quite get some peoples obsession with kitchens, bathrooms etc.

michaelm, I think the reason people are a bit fussier with their kitchens and bathrooms is the fact that they are fairly permanent additions. Most appliances are also meant to last about ten years (if used correctly). So it is worthwhile having things the way we like them - providing we don't become obcessional of course! :eek:

I have non -integrated dishwasher and Fridge, they look fine and visitors can find them. Personally I don't like the intergrated ones, sort of pretending the essentials of the kitchen aren't really there. Appliances do break and unless you get the top of the range don't last 10 years anymore. I know a few people who haven't been able to get replacement integrated fridges and have stand alone ones that don't quite fit in the hole and look a bit bad.

That said I have my washer and dryer in a cupboard, these things definately don't last 10 years and are noisey and ugly.

Back