Insuring Two Cars

G

gerrowadat

I have my regular car insured right now with FBD. I want to get a small jeep for carrying sporting gear around and navigating fields and lanes, etc. It'd be ony used at the weekend and have very little mileage.

Right now I pay 750 on the car, and FBD want another 950 for the jeep. I have 3 years NCB which they say I can only apply to the car, which is why it's so expensive.

Are there any insurers that do mixed policies or open drive policies, or any other legal way I can drive both cars without paying through the nose for insurance?

If you have two cars, you will need to work up a no claims bonus for each car.

You can't share a no claims bonus, no matter how many cars you own, but you may get a discount for insuring two cars with the same insurer.

I would call round and ask for a better quote, some companies give discounts for multiple policies.

You could also do a fleet insurance policy eg here : [broken link removed]

Alternativly, if you have an OH or someone else in your family, get them to be the main driver on a new policy and have yourself as a named driver.

Another thing that may work is simply calling your insurance and chance over onto the jeep when you need it, since you mention very little mileage.

what about getting yourself an old jeep - and insure/tax it as a classic
try first Ireland for insurance cover

If you have had a trusted named driver (eg Spouse) on your policy, he/she would have built up Named Driver Discount years, which has a slightly lower discount scale than that of No Claims Bonus. You could transfer ownership, allow that person to apply their Named Driver Discount to that vehicle as policyholder with you as a named driver. You are then free to apply your No Claims Bonus to the other vehicle.

Back