Insuring car while selling privately

C

Cherrypipp

Hi there,

I bought a new car yesterday and because the trade in value offered was so lousy, I decided to sell my car privately.

I've spoken to my broker about insuring the car while I am selling it, and first of all I was told that I would be insured to drive it off my own current policy, but now it seems that I would have to pay €51 per week to do this. I can drive cars in other people's names but not another in my own it seems.

I have only given the dealer a €500 deposit, so I am sure that I could still trade my old one in, but I'm a bit unsure as to what I should do.

Does anyone have any experience in this, or ideas please?

Thanks,

C

Someone I know had to phone the insurance company to transfer the insurance to the old car each time they had a viewing. Also, for one or two viewings which was on the weekend they arranged for the insurance to be transferred for an hour to coincide with the viewing time.

From what I understand, if your old car is not insured then no one else can be insured to drive the car. I think the terms of conditions on a policy (for driving someone elses car) stipulates that the car must be insured in any case.

On two occasions this person phoned the insurance company to clarify and only one was sure that they had to phone to transfer the policy over to the old car to get it on the road, the other representative flippently said that they could drive it on without having to phone up.

To confirm this it may be best to phone your insurance company.

If you transfer your insurance onto your new car, your old one will no longer be insured.

The simplest solution is to sell your old car first.

Back