insure two cars after re-reg

djkat

Hi all

My girlfriend is moving down from the north next month she has two cars and she will be re-regging them down here, i have a few question i need to get some advice on

1) Can she get both cars re-reg without vrt,( she has them over 6 months and both are in here name)

2) Will it be hard to get a quote for both cars in her name?

3) Will i be able to be a named driver on them when they are re-regged down here ( I am already a named driver up the north)

thanks for reading this and advice is much appreciated

I could be wrong but I thought that you can only avail of the VAT exemption on transfer of residence once. In which case she may have to pay VRT on one of her cars.

As regards insuring two cars, I think a lot will depend on why she has two cars. If one is a daily driver and one is a classic, it should be no problem.

If this is just a scheme to import a car for you without paying VRT, I don't think it will work.

You can only avail of the VRT exemption on a true transfer of residence to Ireland. The burden of proof is on the applicant and is high (proof of job offer, bank statements, etc.).

An individual can only avail of this once every five years.

So she may be able to re-register one car only without paying the VRT depending on her exact circumstances. The other car will need to have VRT paid as your gf is transferring her residence and it's illegal to drive the car in the Republic without doing so.

She'll only be able to use her no-claims discount on one insurance policy.

SSE

Thanks for the replys

I have got confirmation from the citizens information and they said if she has two cars she is entitled to bring them in without paying vrt on both cars.

she is moving down and is starting a new job in nursing, she as all proof ie, bills, n.i. driving licence and old job details

I dont think i can drive the cars as she is the only one allowed for a year

Really? I'd recommend you check with the Revenue, I can't see how that advice is correct.

You can't transfer the ownership of the car for 12 months, but I had my wife as a named driver on my policy for my VRT-exempt import.

SSE

Back