Motor Insurance up 26% from last year

Poormans

Hi all, my car insurance is up next month and I just got the renewal notice in the door this morning. Seems my premium has gone up 26% from last year. Is this the norm for everyone this year or should I ring up and ask why the big increase? Thanks

My premium quote goes up at least 20% each year... but I still am paying the same for the last 3 years... Just ring around a few companies, get a quote from them... if anything cheaper, then go back to your original insurance company & ask them to match it... just make sure you are getting like for like regarding your policy...

Asking why the increase? Assuming you have had no claim(s) since your renewal last year, they'll put it down to the increase in payouts last year due to poor weather last year / start of this year & thus large amount of claims put in.

I always get competitive quote from O'Leary's insurance broker & AA Ireland... I've been with either of them for the last 5 / 6 years... always at least €60 cheaper than most of the insurance companies... don't be surprised when you ring around to get completely mad quotes from some of them...

Thanks for the response Jazz01, no claims or penaly points thank god. I will try ringing around but the dilemma I guess I have is that I get free house insurance with my motor insurance becuase I have health with them also so I dont really have leverage if I come back with a quote thats even €100 quid cheaper. They will just bring that point up which is true. Im ok in that sense but its still a big hike up in costs for this year.

Sounds like a good deal... free house insurance :) ... (another pain in my life with it's ever increasing costs)... I know it annoys the crap out of me everytime I get a renewal to see the increase, especially as I have had no claims... I would recommend ringing around anyway, just to see how competitive they are with the quotation & then give them a call to ask if they can do better than the renewal quote - no harm in asking anyway... Good luck with it...

Back