Insurance on Car rental abroad

krinpit

I have just been billed by a French car company for damage to the clutch of a car that I hired while abroad (nearly €900).

They have supplied me with a report which they suggest that I submit to my insurance company.

I did not have the damage excess waiver, but surely this shouldn't be applicable to a mechanical problem.

Has anyone ever come across this situation before?

Thanks.

Normally they should have indicated any damage to the car to you when you returned it - otherwise you have no way of proving that the damage was done after you returned it. I've never heard of anyone being billed afterwards for damage. You should read the small print on the rental contract but if I were you I would contest it.

... I did not have the damage excess waiver, but surely this shouldn't be applicable to a mechanical problem...
Unless they have proof that you used the car outside the terms of the rental agreement (eg for a motor race, rally, hillclimb) or that you fitted a temporary hitch and used it to tow large loads, I can't see how you are liable, but you'll need to check the hire contract.

Never come across that before. Agree with above, contest it. Things like clutches would surly be damaged from ware and tear over time, how can they prove the damage was done by you or anybody else for that matter when different people are driving it every couple of days?

Why would they want you to report it to your insurers?

I cannot see where your insurance policy here would cover you for any damage to a car in France unless you did a substiution to the hire car.

your Irish insurance company will NOT cover the damage caused.

Sadly if you gave them you credit card details they will charge the card and you will have to go the long way in challenging them.