Insurance of Irish Reg Car in UK

V

Veritas

I've a 4 yr old Irish reg car. I have my own home in Ireland though I'm not living there at the moment. For the past couple of months I've been staying with family in England seeking employment.
I know if I get work here I will have to re-register my car to UK plates. I have Irish Tax and Insurance and recently took ferry home for car's 1st NCT.

Is there any risk my Irish motor insurance policy could become invalid based on the length of time between my visits home?

I've a 4 yr old Irish reg car. I have my own home in Ireland though I'm not living there at the moment. For the past couple of months I've been staying with family in England seeking employment.
I know if I get work here I will have to re-register my car to UK plates. I have Irish Tax and Insurance and recently took ferry home for car's 1st NCT.

Is there any risk my Irish motor insurance policy could become invalid based on the length of time between my visits home?

Check your policy. It will mention how long your cover applies while driving outside of the state

If I remember correctly most policies i've had have provided cover for up to 30 days out of the country.

+1 - usually 30 days per trip outside the country, some subject to 90 days maximum per period of insurance, but extensions may be granted..

Thanks All for taking the time to respond. I can't find anything to clarify this in the documents I have on file, so I will contact Insurance company tomorrow.

Your policy docs. should define the "Territorial Limits". My policy with Quinn defines these as Ireland, UK, channel islands, IoM and in transit between these places.

Outside of these you'll probably be covered for,say, 30 days in a calendar year and you'd be advised to tell your company beforehand.

SSE

Back