Insurance issue on Electric Showers

megabyte

What is the Insurance issue regarding electric showers.
I have 2 in the house which was built about 9 years ago.
But i was told that this is no longer allowed which is fine but how does this affect my insurance for house.I have been with same Insurance company since house was built and no mention about electric showers in contract.
I have been informed if fire is caused by one of the electric showers i may not be covered as one is the only amount of electric showers allowed now.
Any advice welcome.

If two electric showers were allowed when your house was built you will have no problems now or in the future with your insurers.
I do not know who advised you that if you make a claim that you may have a problem-they are wrong.

Hi

I may be wrong, but you can have two, just because of the heavy electrical loading on them now, they should be interlocked ( under the new wiring regulations), in other words only one should work at any time, as if the two ran together they would draw a large load,

ECSSA od RECI who are the bodies representing electrical safety might clarify for you,

The only people that can clarify about the insurance aspect is your insurance company. Contact them and ask.

They won't know!How many people in life insurers know what is or is'nt covered?
If you bought a house that was over 50 years old it would not comply with modern building requirements but insurers would cover it and if their was a serious claim all that would happen is that the repair works would be carried out using modern materials.

There is a condition in all household policies that covers the policy holder in respect of costs to comply with building requirements so for example- if you had a single block wall damaged and the regulations insisted on a double block wall with insulation you would be covered for that as the replacement.

What was considered acceptable a number of years ago but would not be considered acceptable now would have no relevence in respect of a household insurance claim.

just a thought, you may be required to get your electrical installation checked at times,

while it does not apply to private houses, the new general application reguations 2007, requires the employer to get all electrical installations tested, and account to be taken of the report received

a chat with your local electrician ( essca or reci registered) should set the matter straight, about the wiring of the shower, it might be wired ok, if so you are going to be ok.

They won't know!How many people in life insurers know what is or is'nt covered?

Of course they'll know. You just have make sure you talk to a suitably knowledgeable employee.

I've no idea what relevance your reference to life assurance companies is, in the context of a query about property insurance.

Thank you all for your response.It seems that the only way it could affect the Insurance cover is if I replace the shower with a new one and if this was of different wattage and caused a fire then this is a problem.
In this case you have to update your fuse box also.Something to keep in mind for anybody thinking of doing this.

The reference was a general view of insurance companies.
"You just have make sure you talk to a suitably knowledgeable employee"
That is the crux of the problem finding that suitably knowledgeable person who has a complete understanding of an insurance policy.

You may need to be referred on to an underwriter or the first point of contact may need to refer to an underwriter if it's an unusual question. But that's what underwriters are there for. And if the underwriter says "it won't affect you policy" you get their name and write down the time and date of the coversation.

A broker/customer service rep can't be expected to know the ins and outs of every policy but that is why underwriters are employed.
it's a bit offensive to suggest that it is not possible to get someone working in the company who doesn't have complete knowledge especially in a general company where there is just the one product for motor/home etc.

A broker will need to refer to the individual company for terms and conditions if they don't already know.