Insurance implications for RECI/Non-RECI (or ECSSA) rewire job

pbyrne

Hi Everybody,

I am getting quotes at the moment for a house re-wiring job and from what I can see I have three options. I would like some advice though on which ones are acceptable to my house insurance company (I have called them but they were a bit vague so I need to send a letter in to confirm the position).

Option 1 - Installation and test by RECI or ECSSA certified contractor. Insurance company happy as the contractor will have public liability insurance which could be claimed against if we had an electrical fire or other serious problem.

Option 2 - Installation by an electrical contractor with public liability insurance and test by RECI/ECSSA contractor. Insurance company happy since electrical contractor will have public liability insurance. We have peace of mind after RECI test that everything is up to industry guidelines in terms of the quality

Does anybody know if the above is correct - ie: is option (2) covered by the insurance company?

Many thanks for any info.

Ok pbyrne,
If you are worried about your insurance company then I would go with a registered RECI contractor.They are fully qualified and insured (RECI wouldnt touch otherwise)
This area of insurance,RECI/ECSSA,qualifications,competant persons,certification is long and grey and would take forever to explain.
I would look for quality of workmanship so that the insurance issue will,hopefully, never arise.

Hi horak,

Thanks for the reply.

For anybody that is interested- I got word back from the insurance company that they are happy the work is insured if they final test has been carried out by RECI. However their preference would be for the works to be carried out by and ECSSA or RECI contractor. Obviously it is a good idea to check if you particular insurance company is happy with that situation.

I understand your point about quality of workmanship - unfortunately it is very hard to gauge that when speaking with contractors looking to quote for the work. It's also tricky getting recommendations for contractors who have done this work for other people.

pbyrne,

Are you an electrician that is non recI/Ecssa. I am a qualified electrial engineer who has wired his own house and I will be getting either reci/ecssa to certify my work. I cannot see how an insurance company can argue with reci\ecssa if they have passed your work.

Hi Wigser,

I wish I was an electrician - can just about wire a plug!

But I do have a friend who is a qualified electrician but does not work for himself and does not now work in the area of domestic wiring so does not have insurance.

One option I am considering is getting him to do the work and then getting it reci tested at the end of the job. I wanted to be sure though that the insurance was covered in that case - by the sounds of it I am ok but will double double check to be sure before starting any of the work.

Back