Insurance for vacant house

Galwayboy

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if there are any companies out there that do house insurance for a vacant house. Basically I brought the house but its in a bad state and would need alot of work to make it habitable. Im not going to do anything with the house for the moment but would need to get the house insured. What are my options.

what type of insurance do you want?

Yo ucertainly will NOT get standard house insurance. Perhaps all you require is Public LIability on a vacant ruin and you could approach your current home insurers for a quote. You might find it difficult to get fire or other peril insurance if it is in a poor state as the temptation could be to insure and burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The house was lived in up to 4 years ago. Couldn't really rent it out in its current state. what I'm looking for is standard house insurance that would cover fire among other things, as its a end of terrace house and I would be worried that if vandals did break in and set a fire that it would spread to the neighbours. just want to make sure that I'm covered correctly.

Most insurance companies offer this type of cover, you just go for the standard cover but you have to advise them the property is vacant and be clear in the exact state it is in as you dont want them coming back in the event of a claim saying you didnt tell them and turning down cover.

I think its call an unoccupied clause, most policies ask on the proposal form if they house will not be occupied for over 60 or 90 days.

I have a house in a simular condition - it is insured as "House under Construction".

2 companies will do this, thats Hickey Clarke & Langan & Finsure. But in most cases, you will get Fire Only cover. House under construction is comletely different!

Back