Insurance for items stolen in communal areas

mickpyrmont

Has anyone any experience claiming for a stolen bicycle in a communal underground carpark, Is it insurured or does it have to be specifically insuranced for? Damn thefts

Read the terms & conditions of your contents insurance policy. As far as I know often bicycles need to be itemised to be covered on most home insurance policies.

I think the OP is asking whether it is insured under the block policy rather than the OP's own contents only policy?

If that is the case (and it's not clear that it is) then I doubt it but check with the relevant authorities (e.g. management company if this relates to a privately managed development with car parking).

I'd say 0 chance of being covered under block policy as they are usually quite restrictive policies, with large individual excesses - but like clubman said check the t & c's of the policy. Bicycles will usually have to be covered under the all risks section of your house (or contents only policy, if you live in an apartment) insurance to be covered and will cost per 100 to insure, but again check your existing policy.