Insurance Cover for Provisional in North & South?

L

linnybinny

Hi, would love some help on this matter! Myself and Boyfriend are getting a car up the North. We live in Northern Ireland but come down south quite often. I have full Irish license. He has provisional Irish & Northern Ireland License (both). My big question is: Will he be covered to drive down south when we come down at weekends? I know I will be because of having full license but I'm not sure what way it stands for Provisional License holders? I'm not even sure who I should ask about this... Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! THANK YOU!

Re: Insurance Cover for Provisional in North & South???

Holders of provisional British licences must, I believe, be accompanied by a full licence holder at all times when driving in the UK / NI.

Holders of first Irish provisional licences must be accompanied at all times by a full licence holder driving in Ireland. ( notwithstanding what many people do, this is and always has been the position )

Holders of a second Irish provisional licence may drive in Ireland unaccompanied ( this subject to change from 30 June 2008 when all Irish provisional drivers must be accompanied under the new rules recently announced. )

Holders of third & subsequent Irish provisional licences must be accompanied at all times by a full licence holder driving in Ireland.

For more information on the new changes coming in see www.rsa.ie

http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/upload/File/...icensing System Revised 29th October 2007.doc

Hi Graham 07, thanks for that but its not the fact of him being covered on his own, we will be together when he's driving but its more to know, if his British License plus being insured in NI will cover him when he's driving down south so we can share the journey?!

If he has an Irish Provisional licence then as long as you are accompanying him when driving in Ireland that would be in order. He has a valid driving licence, that's all that the Gardai will be intersted in.

Regarding insurance, you need to check that with your insurers. I would expect that provided he is insured on the car in NI then that insurance would extend to trips to the south, just the same as I would expect to be covered in driving to the north. Best check with the insurers though to be sure.

Thanks for your help Graham, am researching a good insurance company to go with at the moment - any recommendations?

Thanks for your help Graham, am researching a good insurance company to go with at the moment - any recommendations?

Check all the online ones but since your BF has provisional you need to check around as rates do vary.

Back