Insurance company windscreen replacement

andrew1977

Hi folks

Had my windscreen replaced via my car insurance company in early January this year . Paid an excess of 75 euro to have it fitted

On Friday last i came out to my car and a puddle of water had appeared on the passenger side floor .
I brought it to a garage and they fixed the problem for me for 108 euro
The cause of the problem was down to the fitting of the replacement windscreen . It had not been done 100% correctly and water had been building up and eventually had to come through somewhere .2 panels between window and the end of the bonnet also had to be replaced .
Bad workmanship by the windscreen replacement company the garage informed me, and have stated this on the invoice as the cause of problem
Is it possible for me now to seek compensation for this 108 euro from my insurance company or should i have advised them of the problem before i got it fixed . Or will the insurance company wash their hands of it and tell me to deal with the windscreen company directly. But i could only use this windscreen company as per the insurance company.
It only 108 euro but its the principle of the matter

thanks for any pointers or advice you can give me

Your beef is with the fitters!

If these are preferred fitters then they wont want you rocking the boat with the insurance company. They should settle with you privately. If they don't then inform the insurance company and ask them why they insist on their customers using unreputable companies. But, it shouldn't come to that.

Of course, the fitters are going to ask why you didn’t bring it back to them to get fixed, but your answer to this is that you didn’t suspect it could possibly, in a million years, be their fault!!!

hi smcgiff

cheers for the reply, will give it a try over the phone with the fitters tomorrow,
When i was dealing with them at the time of the windscreen breakage i wasnt impressed with their phone manner,courtesy or customer service,could be an awkward one , if no joy will turn to the insurance company

Appreciate your advice,many thanks

A stone flew off the wheel of a passing lorry and cracked the windscreen & chipped the paintwork on my 2 month old rav 4 on friday.

The insurance company (FBD) will cover 100% if I go to Autoglass or Allied Windscreens (or something like that) or give €223.50 towards the replacement if I get it replaced elsewhere - my senario is - only 3500km on clock, the jeep is the sol model so has rain sensor on windscreen and an electronic rear view mirror. €550 for the toyota garage to replace the windscreen (who will probably source it out to autoglass anyway).

Should the rain sensor or the electronic rear view mirror give any sort of trouble over the next few years will toyota inform me that "when you replaced the windscreen elsewhere the fitters must have damaged it and therefore your warranty is no longer valid on that"

I have insisted on a genuine replacement window. Should I fork out the €225 myself or get autoglass to fit the windscreen.

Thanks Petermack, It is a genuine toyota windscreen that autoglass have ordered as they have ordered it from my toyota dealer. You have eased my mind with regard to the rain sensors etc.

It may take a few weeks to get the windscreen as it is a sol model and it took 6 mths to get the jeep into the country first of all! The other model does not have the rain sensor.

Thanks