Insurance company released my personal info/medical records.

M

mary1234

Hi,

I had an accident in 2006. Woman that hit me her insurance company paid for the car and sent me medical doc to get checked out. I was fine no injury. They just paid for my car.

I had an accident at the beginning the this year. I hurt my neck and shoulder. The man that hit me gave me his insurance details. When i contacted company they fixed my car and I told them I've been to doc and was getting physio and the physio advised I see him up to next 6 to 9 months. I told the insurance company this and they were able to tell me about the accident in 2006. I told them I had a accident in 2006 no injury and they told me the other insurance sent over my details which included medical records without my consent. I went berserk when I heard that and went to family solictor does anyone know what can be done to the insurance company that gave out my medicial records without my consent.

Re: personal info

Hi,

I went berserk when I heard that and went to family solictor does anyone know what can be done to the insurance company that gave out my medicial records without my consent.
Did your family solicitor not advise you?

Is there not an agreement somewhere in your insurance policy that allows the insurance companies share files to avoid fraud ?

Once you apply to a company / broker for cover or for a quotation you sign up for this information sharing AFAIK. Read the T&Cs.

There is a provision within the Data Protection Acts - whereby data protection is not breached if for legal purposes. You say in 2006 you suffered no injury - so what medical records are they talking about?

What's the problem? Insurance companies share this sort of information with each other as a matter of course.

As for talking to your solicitor, what are you trying to achieve? You have suffered no financial loss.