Home Insurance Company Cannot Find My Policy

Wishes

This is a very strange one; my house was flooded during the snowy period so I have tried to claim for its repair on my insurance.

Last week I got a phone call from a panicked representative from the insurance company telling me they could not find my policy and had searched high up and low down and had no record on computer either.

I have being paying them each month by direct debit.

I have no idea what has gone on here and nobody will elaborate further.

Where can I go from here?

Could you ask your bank that pays the direct direct if there is any reference on the actual Direct Debit. Could there be any confusion re the name of the Company in view of the various changes that has occured in this area.

if there is a policy, then there has to be a record in the insurance company. Could it be that you have changed name (married/seperated/divorced) since you took it out, or that you put another name (partner/spouse) onto it since you took it out?

In any case, they should be able to get it by address.

Are you sure that the payment being take out is for house insurance? Could it be for some other type of insurance?

Have you a broker - if so, he should be able to trace it

Have you a mortgage - then the lender should have a note of the policy number

If you have a mortgage on the house the mortgage holder should also have details of the insurance (as they must be named on the buildings cover). Do you have the policy document and policy number? Are you perhaps thro an insurance broker and maybe they switched your policy to another underwriter? If you have being making payments on foot of an agreed premium with the insurer, then imo you should have a valid contract so hopefully it can be resolved. As dewdrop said follow the money trail on the Direct Debit. Best of luck.

Surely if you took out an insurance policy, you have a copy of the policy document?

You must have got a quote at some stage? Do you have that?

How long ago did you take it out? If it was in the last 10 years, I would imagine that there should have been a computer record at the time.

Brendan

I think horusd could be right. Is there any chance you changed insurer, eg online. Your existing direct debit could be going through for another class of insurance, eg motor policy for the same insurer as the old policy - a company that has life and motor like Eagle Star/ Zurich? Do let us know.