insurance claim query

thedaras

Hi, would anyone on aam be in a position to offer advice on the following..
Builders working next door (semi house) .Caused water damage to my property,at the time i called in a loss assesor,but as we were getting the builders in,i didnt persue it.
My question is ,is it too late now to make that claim? we had major renovation,and had the outside and inside walls replasterd,plus all the floors had to be resanded and varnished,the floors are still uneven,in fact they are lifting in some of the rooms now.
thanks

when did incident occur? What did your loss assessor say? What renovations were you getting done at the time?

You need to post a bit more detail.

Also, read your policy. You may be outside time limits for claiming under your own policy. If you are to pursue builder next door, then was it reported to him at the time; does he have insurance and did he report it to his insurers?

If you were astute enough to take photographic evidence of the damage caused and can prove the dates of the damage, you may still have a strong case to bring to either the builder from next door and/or submitting a claim to your insurance provider. I would advise you at least pursue it, the worst that can happen is you end up paying for the repairs yourself, best case if is all covered and costs you nothing.

Thanks for replys.. have been side tracked since..
Is it correct then, that even though I have had renovations done and paid for the damage ,ie; the damage is no longer visible.that as I Have photographic evidence ,that I can make a claim?

you can make a claim at any time you wish.

However, your insurer may not deal with it and the builder's insurance may not deal with it.

You must comply with your own policy conditions and unless you can prove it ti the builder's insurers, then you will fail in that claim.

yes,I told them several times,and several times they promised to sort it.they didnt..

Are you using a Broker or have you dealt with your insurance directly yourself.

thats the point mercman; I dont know what I should/can do,I am out of pocket due to the extra work my builders had to do,due to neighbours builders .so I havnt persued it at all,and am trying to figure if I can.I pay the insurance company directly.thanks

The fact that you called in a Loss Assessor is in your favour. I would suggest you contact them and ask them to act on your behalf.

Back