Insurance Claim - is 34.5 Hours Excessive

Hurling Fan

Hi All

Would like your opinions on the following scenario. A couple of weeks ago I was in Carlow town and ran into the back of an 07 Toyota Auris. I wan't going very fast - his bumper was damaged (dented and cracked). His rear lights worked okay. There was no damage to my car (opel zafira). I immediately accepted responsibility and handed over my insurance details saying I might settle it privately as I really thought I hadn't done a huge amount of damage. Unfortunately, didn't think to take photos. Duely informed my insurance company but again stressed that I might settle the claim privately. Hadn't heard anything since so gave my insurance company a call today and they said a claim had been put through and their assessor had agreed on it. So far its at Euro3,321 and there's still 4 days car hire to be added on! Nearly fell off the chair at this point! The claim includes 34.5 hours labour at Euro55 an hour. Does anyone else think this is way over the top - I mean its nearly a full week's work. To my eye it really looked like the bumper had to be replaced but must admit I know little about cars.

As my insurance company's assessor appears to have already approved the work (but it hasn't been paid) is there anything I can do? Can I insist on a second quote. Can I get a copy of the assessor's report and the garage's estimate. Feel like I'm being taken for ride on this one! Thanks.

I think you've missed the boat on this as you have no record of original damage caused.As you've said you don't know much about cars.I was quoted 80 euro per hour rate for a Merc mechanic to do a so called 20 hour job.....I walked... got an independent to do the job at 45 per/hour and parts etc. total hours 8 . So basically if the insurance company's assessors are happy with quote and hourly rate and time etc then its their decision to settle. For example if you were driving a nice Merc.or BMW and someone crashed into you ,would you (a) want it fixed by a Merc or BMW garage or (b) by "fix your car for cheap ltd" up the laneway. ?
Move on you will stress yourself out to much thinking about it !

For example if you were driving a nice Merc.or BMW and someone crashed into you ,would you (a) want it fixed by a Merc or BMW garage or (b) by "fix your car for cheap ltd" up the laneway. ?

Thanks for reply. Not suggesting for a moment the guy gets his car fixed by "Fix your car for cheap Ltd". He is entitled to have his car repaired by a reputable garage so his car is exactly the same as it was before I went into the back of him and I have absolutely no problem putting this through my insurance. Just think the quote is way over the top and my insurance cover is being abused.

As you say yourself, you know little about cars and the assessor (whom presumably does) has agreed the estimates. On what grounds can you argue the claim is excessive in that scenario? I was rear-ended myself once. I thought it was only a matter of replacing the bumper. In fact, the wings had to be realigned, the panel under the bumper replaced adn other bits and pieces done. Then it had to be undercoated resprayed to match the oriignal paint, wheels balanced, chassis alignment checked, etc..

What I'm saying is that, given my experience, your story does not sound like OTT regarding cost/time.

Last edited:
I was rear ended once and it was €500 or so - it was the labour and paint that brought it up.

On the other hand I put a massive dent in a passengers door and expected to pay about €2K. He rang me to say it was €200 or €300 and I was in shock. He then thought I was backing out so I went round with the money that evening.

In the " OLDEN DAYS " you may have had a whiplash claim on top of this also :( I think the other party has two years from date of accident to still file a claim :eek: if injuries "develop" over the next couple of weeks while sitting on a high stool listening to his mates in the pub ! then again he might have a genuine injury :rolleyes:

Back