Home Insurance claim + death

P

paulaner

Hi there,

my mother recently passed away whilst in the middle of pursuing a house insurance claim. We are dealing with an assessor and the claim is dragging on. We reported it at the end of December. So basically, i'm asking if my mothers death alter the claim or is the home itself that's insured? I appreciate that all policies are different but surely something like this is standard across the board. Thanks for any help. Cheers

Paulaner

Claim should be pursued by the executors of your mothers estate and any cheque issued will be made out to them. You need to inform insurers of her death, if you haven't done so yet.

the insurance policy reverts to the estate. The premium is paid to a policy holder based on an insured risk.

The insured risk is the house so the policy is still in force. The settlement will be made payable to the policy holder (now deceased) and therefore will be part of the estate and will be dispursed in a will.

There should be no issued with the claim other than getting the cheque cashed to get any repairs carried out

Back