Insurance claim , assesor been , what now

messedaround

Hi All , had assesor out due to water leaking from bathroom down through my kitchen ceiling right through one of my spot lights ! seems the whole floorboards under my bathroom tiles are rotton , he,s given me the ok to claim and wants quotes etc , wont allow me new anything in bathroom apart from floor boards and tiles , he actually wants me to put all the old stuff back down , is this normal ? this floor could have rotted the underneath of all the bathroom furniture , altho i wont know this till i get it all pulled up , is there any decent tradesmen out there that can come out , quote me and not get stuck in because its an insurance job ? last thing i need is ott quotes , assesor saying no resulting in a delay , so many different tradesmen involved id just need a builder , wouldnt mind a new bathroom suite out of it tho ?? or is that so bad ? any advice appreciated very much ,

Hi Under you policy you are only entitiled to reinstatement i.e. being put back in the position that you were in prior to the loss.
I am an insurance loss assessor (appinted by the policyholder to handle the claim on their behalf) and sometimes the loss adjuster appointed by the insurer will try to pull a fast one.
I really am surprised that the adjuster want you "to put the old stuff down"
You could ask a loss assessor to call out to you to assess the damage and in a number of cases be able to recomend a contractor to do the work.
The inital discussion would be free of charge and thereafter the assessor would generally charge an agreed fee.

your bathroom suite is hardly damaged by water so you cannot claim for a new one.

Can you clarify what you mean when you say "he actually wants me to put all the old stuff back down". If he is saying he will replace the floors and tiles then I assume all he is asking you to put back in is the bathroom suite.
As Ravima said, that can't be water damaged and if it is perfectly fine then it doesn't need to be replaced and therefore isn't covered.