the insurance company paid out this amount
due to work that the builder didnt do
we (the builder and me ) agreeded to knock off €3,000
the question is do i give back the balance to my insurance company
or keep it
would this be fraud????

I think you should know what to do...give the difference back to the company

DEWDROP is correct.

This is fraud. You got the money on the basis tha tyou would complete the work. What will you do if you have another claim due to the non completion of the work?

It probably depends on the terms of your insurance contract....is it to compensate for the loss or to pay for the replacement

Lets say the flood caused damage to a wooden floor which you have to take up and decided to replace with a cheaper alternative, just in case the damage happened again.

Do you have any plans to get this work done in the future or was there an particular reason you didn;t get the builder to do it?

I'd say the time lost in the insurance comapnay as they all discussed the shock of having the cheque sent back would cost more than the chq:D

I don't think there is any obligation- morally or legally to repay the money. Most insurance claims are paid on the basis of an agreed estimate. They do not look for proof that the work has been carried out.

the work that wasnt done was painting a wall and fixing up the wooden frame part of hot press im not very diy but i can live with that boyfriend going to do it ( at a weekend not too sure when "that" weekend is)
i am sending money back
when you think about all the people making false insurance claims for different things
and if i did have to make a claim again in the futher i wouldnt feel guilty

I think you should keep the cheque. You got the amount to fix to previous standard.

If you got it done cheaper then it's your gain. Insurance company wouldn't have paid if they thought there was anything untoward.

the work that wasnt done was painting a wall and fixing up the wooden frame part of hot press im not very diy but i can live with that boyfriend going to do it ( at a weekend not too sure when "that" weekend is)

just think of the amount of nagging it will cost you to get him to do it, and then the brownie points he'll have notched up when he actually does the job. you'll both have earned it by then. :)

i'd keep it, as others have said the insurance company have paid for the job to be done.The job will be done, just by someone else other than the builder.

Back