Insurance charge for car rental

Art

My car broke down in Cork last Sunday week and I was entitled to breakdown assistance and 2 day car hire under my insurance policy. I have comprehensive insurance on my own car which allows me to drive on any other car. However having just checked my credit card bill online, I saw that I was charged €40 by Enterprise, the car hire company. I just rang Enterprise and was told that I was charged €20 per day for the insurance. I had an argument with them about it and they are due to call me back. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

You are most likely covered to drive other cars Third Party only which the rental company would never allow. Hence the charge. Take their 20k car, and only have cover for the wall you hit? Never gonna happen!

You didn't transfer your insurance which means Enterprise wouldn't have allowed the car out 3rd party.

I'd say you can kiss goodbye to the €40

I say this as somebody who is currently driving an Enterprise car right now on private insurance.

but surely the point is that the OP's insurance co. should be footing the total bill for the car rental incl. insurance?

Art, I would tackle both the car rental and the INS co on it

Well yes the insurance company will pay but the OP has to foot the bill and claim it back with the final settlement.

How can they deduct your card without approval?
A few years ago I hired privately from Enterprise and when I returned the car it had an insignificant chip on the windscreen that I didn’t even notice, it could have been there before hire. They made a claim on this, fortunately I took out the excess insurance cover, if I had not done so they would have charged me via my deposit etc. If I had used my own insurance they would have claimed on that.
Try driving around Ireland without getting stones thrown up.