Insurance and Volcanic Ash

S

StrandedDub

Hi

I've a hotel booked in Europe that is non refundable. I won't be able to get there due to cancelled flights. I have VHI travel insurance but they are saying that its a natural disaster and since the policy doesn't state cover for natural disaster then it's not covered.

Any thoughts? Or should I just suck it down to experience?

Thanks,
Stranded!

you could ring the hotel and explain the situation, my sister had similar issues with snow earlier this year and the hotel promised to give her a free night next time she was there.

Yeah tried that and they were having none of it.

Yep, Strandeddub, Lovely smiling faces when they are selling you insurance. But, when you claim the smiles change to grimace. Insurance is only good if you get seriously sick on holidays. I mean life-threatening sick and even then while you are insured for €6M, they will try to brow beat you into a smaller claim than you bargained for.

It's a long shot but try your credit card company.

Some offer insurance on purchases.

I was stranded in Rome spend a fortune to come back to Dublin via train/ferry.
I have insurance with Getcover and they classified this as act of god and slipped away.
Well seems like you are lucky enough only to lose your money not your time and patience.
Sorry for your loss...

Make sure you check this is excluded in your policy document.

Insurance complains will try any excuse to get out of a claim.

Name and Shame the hotel on a Tripadvisor review.

My travel insurance pays €36 per day for "Abandoned Flights" provided you have re-booked flights straight away.