Insurance Adds

C

collyp

Hi All

You may be able to give me some advice. I may be totally in the wrong but some advice would be nice anyway.

This time of the year means renewal of insurance for me. 24 years old with full licence and no claims bonus for 3 years. I have rang lots of companies including QD. The quote I received was in excess of €900. Still pricey and had got better quotes than this.

Here is the problem;

Reading last Mondays Irish Star, they had an add for a typical driver with the exact spec for me. Opel Astra 1.4, valued at 4k. Mine is that with a value ok 3k. They advertised a 23 year old for just over €400 - Whats going on here?

When I called them to query this at first, the reason i got was "Oh thats for a different car" - No my dear its the very same car!
"Oh you live in Dublin" - and "your car is an elegance" These two things I accept but surely they are misleading people with the prices they are displaying.

If my quote was €200 more expensive, Id accept and understand, but €500?

From time to time, I see these adds and always question if their prices are actually available. I really doubt they ever are.

CP

I got insurance few days ago for 1.2 car, value 5k, comp, 2 yr no claims bonus, not in Dublin though, other city, 23 yr old female for 466 with AXA. This included a discount of 100 for having a credit union account, they are doing some deal at the moment and discount for being introduced by existing customer.

...but surely they are misleading people with the prices they are displaying.

I was going to say but what do you expect - you read the Star, drive an Astra, live in Dublin and are a male under 25, but I won't.

If you believe from your experience that the ads are misleading, then try this link to report it [broken link removed]

I don't know how you will get on, but I do know that complaints have been upheld in the past.

If you have friends with similar experiences, ask them to complain as well.

Best of luck - HTH.

The ad is possibly correct, maybe a full bonus too.

They tend to be selective on what they display, just like every other industry!

Any small changes to the specified details result in additional premiums.

And unfortunately sometimes the explanations you get on the phone may not be accurate as they tend to come from a low paid under experienced call centre operative (I know someone wants to give out to me for saying that). I'd expect the 'different' vehicle didn't actually make any difference.

What you may also find is the Ryanair effect, you go to buy it and find that the extras are then included in your over the phone quote like baggage etc but not noted on the advert (except in the small print).

And one small piece of advice, if your budget allows it please purchase an element of bonus protection!

Thanks guys. I appreciate some of your points and accept my case is not exactly spot on with what is being shown in Irelands no.1 (I buy it for sport, trust me).

Its just frustrating to have high hopes of getting a reasonable quote and you eventually get one that is more 100% what was advertised.

CP