Insulation

B

BeanoMc

Hi All

I'm new to this site so I hope that someone can help me. I got a quote today for foam fill cavity insulation on my house. The guy said that the area that needs to be filled is 260 sq meters and this would cost €4500. He also said that if we were to go with bead insulation for the same area that it would cost circa €3000. Do these prices seem ok.

The walls of the house are cavity blocks that are rendered on the outside and have a layer of fiber glass insulation on the inside. If we get this foam fill done will it make a big ifference to the house retaining its heat.

I would also welcome any other suggestions.

Many thanks

Beano, short of drilling into every single cavity block.. theres no way you can ensure that the pumped-in insulation will cover every sq inch you want.... cavity block walls are not suited to this type of insulation, whether it be polystyrene bead or polyiso foam.

Hi All

I'm new to this site so I hope that someone can help me. I got a quote today for foam fill cavity insulation on my house. The guy said that the area that needs to be filled is 260 sq meters and this would cost €4500. He also said that if we were to go with bead insulation for the same area that it would cost circa €3000. Do these prices seem ok.

The walls of the house are cavity blocks that are rendered on the outside and have a layer of fiber glass insulation on the inside. If we get this foam fill done will it make a big ifference to the house retaining its heat.

Many thanks

Yeah Sydthebeat is right, but you may need to be careful with the wording... If your walls are made of cavity blocks (as opposed to brick and block cavity), you cannot use bead insulation. We did not know we had cavity block walls until the bead insulation guy came out to fill the cavity. He said it could not be done after he'd drilled a few holes and discovered the cavity blocks...

Hi All

Many thanks

Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

There are some previous threads on this subject which you may find .

You may be well advised to speak with . They have experts who will contact you to give you free advice.

HI Guys

Thanks a mill for the advice. Will cotact the sei and ask for thier suggestions.

Thanks again
Beano

Even if hollow blockwork could be filled with insulation it is not suitable for this purpose as the insulation would encourage driving rain to permeate to the inner "skin" of the blockwork and create far more problems around reveals etc.

These blown-in type insulation have an additional additive that prevents the transgression of moisture from the outer to the inner, according to their NSAI certification.... so the issue raised above should not occur if applied in accordance to their NSAI certification.

My parents had this done about 4-5 years ago,I think it was called bonded bead.They drilled a hole in the outside wall and spaced it every so many feet .So far no problems and they've halved their oil fills per year from 4 to 2,so a good recommendation here!

These blown-in type insulation have an additional additive that prevents the transgression of moisture from the outer to the inner, according to their NSAI certification.... so the issue raised above should not occur if applied in accordance to their NSAI certification.
Maybe so but hollowblock was never designed or intended to be filled; the issue does not arise with a twin leaf cavity wall. Apart from the difficulty of filling a hollow blockwork wall I couldn't see how the insulant could function very well given all the cold bridges, mortar dropiings etc that bridge both "leaves" of the wall in a typical build.

i completely agree, but i would argue that very nature of a hollow block allows moisture to travel from the outer face to the inner face.. the insulation wouldnt be a factor. Im not a fan of cavity block walls at all.

Back