Insulation of Converted Attic

stepasider

looking for some info on how an attic conversion should be insulated. Persumably the floor,ceiling,walls of the new room should be fully insulated. That being the case - how is the new side walls to storage area best insulated - should this wall on storage side be closed with plasterboard or is it ok to leave open with insulation exposed. Is there any further insulation aside from floor in storage area that should be insulated to make the attic room warmer?

Thanks in advance.

If it was me I would use some mesh wire on the outside of the side walls to keep the insulation from falling away into the atic space.

No to need to insulate attic floor - you probably want the rising heat from below to warm the attic. Insulate roof and side walls with rigid foam-backed palsterboard. You can put this in the storage area walls too (I wouldn't leave them open, and if you have fibreglass or rockwool in the storage area you don't want this to contaminate your living area.

I agree with extopia, I was told by a number of insulation companies not to insulate the floor as this will stop the heat from downstairs rising into your attic.