Insulation - no access to attic

LadyJane

We have a 200 year old farm house. It has been extended twice and the 2 extensions do not have any insulation in the roof. There is also no access to the attic in these extensions as they were done a long time ago.

Obviously we want to get some insulation up there. I am almost afraid what this would entail, in terms of mess and cost. Who knows how many decades of dust and mouse bones are up there? Shiver.

Are there insulation contractors that will make a hold in the ceiling in order to access and insulate this space? I wouldn't really call it an attic, but it would be a crawl space.

Not looking forward to another winter of huge energy bills but pretty sure we can't afford the insulation contractors, even with the grant.

Any advice very welcome. We are pretty good at DIY but this job is making me nervous.

Had a similar problem. Livining in a terraced house, the upstairs ceilings had been redone, but there was no access to the attic. The folks from stira were able to cut a hole and install one of their folding stairs, which gave me the access needed to clear up and install some insulation.

Thanks Tiger. How much did that cost? We don't have room for stairs etc, just need the hole!