insulation level in new build

G

gegser

hi i am currently spec'ing my new house, it's 3300ftsq , one room deep ( so lots of external walls), south facing, with lots of glass on south and west faces. We're using geothermal and under floor heating on both floors. I'm very keen on insulating it well.I was thinking of using a layer between the outer and inner blocks and another layer inside the inner block- however i'm not sure what insulation material is best and what depth of insulation layer would provide great insulation. i'd appreciate any suggestions. Also what to put under the floor and above the bedroom and in the attic
gerry

I'm very keen on insulating it well.
Is it not a requirement these days with new builds? Perhaps something here on the DoE website?

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/ (Building Standards)

alas there's a big difference between the min requirements and a level of insulation that will retain heat in a large open plan house with lots of glazing

My bro in law did that on an extension "layer between the outer and inner blocks and another layer inside the inner block"- not sure of the name of it but it was about 1 inch thick and then there was a space to the plasterboard. He says you would really notice the diffrence when you go from the old part of the house which was a modern (1990's) build to the new, finished 2007.Well worth doing is my message.

My bro in law did that on an extension "layer between the outer and inner blocks and another layer inside the inner block"- not sure of the name of it but it was about 1 inch thick and then there was a space to the plasterboard. He says you would really notice the diffrence when you go from the old part of the house which was a modern (1990's) build to the new, finished 2007.Well worth doing is my message.

(25 mm insulation 12.5 mm plaster board) 37.5 mm insulated board, there a number of suppliers out there.

Joejoe

maybe have a look at the 'partial fill cavity' thread..... theres lots of different specs of construction there.

Back