insulation advice needed

Haille

I want to insulate an old shop unit that was incorporated with house. I am currently separating living area from shop unit.I want to insulate 3 walls and ceiling.Existing wall were made of some form of concrete mix back in the 1930's, they are covered with timber sheeting. I basically wanted to use 6 inch insulation on walls and ceilings put up slap and plaster over same.Which is the best option to use 150mm fibreglass or use kingspan insulated slab. how does the latter compare with the fibreglass in terms of insulating value.The kingspan insulated slab can be got in 50mm. Is this compressed or is the fibreglass superior.
For ceiling i intend to lower existing ceiling by putting up insulation and slabbing it.As there is a bedroom of house over ceiling will the insulation act as soundproofing or should I use something in addition to insulation to help with soundproofing.I was told that the fibreglass is superior to sheepswool insulation?

As a rough rule of thumb you can assume that 50mm of Kingspan insulation will have thermal insulation properties of the equivalent of 100mm of glass fibre. Regular glass fibre, Kingspan etc are poor sound insulators; dense materials are better for this purpose; both Moy and Rockwool manufacture specific products for sound insulating applications.

many thanks Carpentar.I am thinking of using rafter loc on walls and ceiling.If I want to soundproof ceiling as well as insulate it should i use something in addition to rafter loc or something else to replace it.

Just looked up Moy Isover accoustic batts,wondered if these would serve as insulation and sound proofing .

I'm not familiar with "rafter lock"; I would recommend that anyone purchasing insulation products speak directly to the suppliers in this country; all have a technical department who will be happy to advise on the best solutions for individual cases. I regularly contact Kingspan, Moy and Gypsum and have always found them very helpful- afterall they have a product to sell.

Back