insulating stud partitions - ensuite

NOAH

I am puttiing a fairly large en suite into an extended bedroom of an old bungalow and thought it would be beneficial to put the loft type insualtion between the studs, 1 to keep suite warm and 2 add a bit of sound proofing but my builder has just gone and put the 2 studs up. Am I being too cautious?

It has a real hollow ring to the walls now.

I feel it was an opportunity missed but I could be daft as well.

noah

I'd take one side down and put insulation in.

It'll make a huge difference especially if you put an electric shower in.

Also have a think where you want to put mirrors , shelves etc etc and get the builder to batten the area out so it'll make the job a bit easier when you go to do it.

Make sure the insulation is rockwool not glasswool - you'd be surprised how many people make that mistake.

Thanks all I feel better now but my builder will be miffed. And I am sitting here looking at my large roll of yes GLASSWOOL insulation. I thought rockwqool and glasswool are one and the same. Although I was always told to buy rockwool loft insulation. The only resason I bought the glasswrool is that I could not see the rockwool stuff. Where can I get rockwool, I am in clare.

I dont have to worry about mirrors as one wall is block!! I do have to worry about plumber fitting rads to both sides of the stud partition so hope he knows his stuff.

My bulder has me a bit concerned now as he may be either skimping or rushing things.

see next post by me on straightening bedroom wall!!

noah

Moy Isover do a glass wool product that is suitable for improving acoustic performance, it's called Acoustic roll- it's a little more dense than the standard glass fibre product. Although in this instance I'd be quite happy to use the standard product for insulating a stud partition- the cavity isn't huge and the quilt will help to cut down on sound leakage through the construction. It's not a critical detail. If you really want to improve on acoustic performance be sure to fill all gaps in the finished partition- especially at the base of the studs- there always tends to be small shrinkage gaps at the base of such partitions which are pathways for sound. Fill with an acrylic caulk or use gypsum jointing compound as appropriate.

thanks all, i put builder straight this morning, take off studs, leave off until monday, i had 6 bags of rockwool delivered, went back tonight and studs have been filled and left for me to see. Now why could he not have done that in the first place.

And thanks carpenter for that caulk tip, do I do that now before tiling floor and putting on skirting on bedroom side?

noah