Insulating Concrete Formwork

tipperary

Hoping to start building a 2000 sq ft house in the near future and considering using Insulating Concrete Forms. I've looked at some of the other threads, and found mainly positive comments. From what I've read I'm surprised not to see more of these houses going up around. This form of construction seems to combine the best of block built houses (solidity, noise etc) and timber framed (insulation mainly).

Is the low numbers of these houses just a case of fear of something new, or is there significant disadvantages to this form of construction?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The main advantage for some on these builds is that they can be 'do it yourself' houses.... it may be hard to locate 'builders' for those who arent into DIY... that may be a reason for the slow pickup....

But for the DIY enthuisastic these builds can be very rewarding.. of course you have to do a lot of preplanning and research... but it pays off...

they are reletavely easy to build, once youve the first 2-3 courses up it becomes easy to pre-empt problems...

SA mentioned by prev poster - it is difficult to find a builder that will do ICF