Insulating a garden shed

cybermate

Hi,

Have a timber garden shed that I would like to have the option to use as a workshop/home office. The "walls" are made from 2"x1" frames with a moisture barrier sheet (its not polyethene) and ship-lap on the outside. Roof consists of 3/4"" OSB with torch-on felt on the outside.

Was wondering what insulation materials/method you think is best to use? I don't want to lose space so was thinking that tacking some sheeting on to the 2"x1" frame and backfilling with insulation might be and idea. Am conscious that it wouldn't be perfect but a major improvment nonetheless. What insulating material / sheeting would you recommend? Is there any fire retardent sheeting that you can get?

thanks,
cybermate

the walls are very light so i dont think your idea of backfilling would work ( not sur ehow you would plan to do this anyway. I really dont think that this shed would be suitable for 'upgrading' but if you really wanted to you could get composite plasterbaord (comes with insulation attached to the back of the board and fix to the upright. You might want to strenghten the framework of the shed though.

Back