Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF) v's Timberframe

ninsaga

I seem to recall reading that Insulated Concrete forms are now giving timberframe a good run for their money in terms of both insulation value as well as speed of construction. I have not seen though how they compare cost wise. Has anyone recently quoted both?

ninsaga

I know a guy in Clare who got one done recently and was full of praise, cost wise I think its fairly competitive. He used a company called Vision Homes I think. Don't know much more about it

We are currently building with ICF and its going well. We are using Nudura. Energy wise its more efficent and its a more efficent and speedier way of building. We are self building and Mr Polo has done most of the work himself, Just bought the system from the Supplier.

I'm Building An ICF system called Reward at the moment I have costings of icf v timberframe in an excel file and also advantages of the icf over timber frame. i'd be happy to email u wit any info i have regarding icf.

Hi fibreman here, I am planning to build a 1900sq. ft. 1.5 storie + garage and I am interested in the cost comparisons to timberframe.

Marko,I am currently trying to organise a 1200sqft extension,2 storey,and had decided on timber frame mainly for speed and insulation properties.This sounds like a good alternative could you send me the comparisons.Any recomendations on companies.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm really interested in using ICF for my selfbuild, please could you let me have a copy of your price comparisons.....Thanks!

Hi

I am building with Kingspan TEK. This has a U value of 0.2. the ICF is just above that at 0.22
Main advantages are speed of construction, insulation properties, air tight and very solid when compared to timber frame. Also very little mess on site.
Cost wise it is more expensive than TF and block not sure about ICF.

A friend of mine has recently completed a house using EcoForm, a company based in Limerick and they are really pleased with the results.

You can get all the details from their website:

[broken link removed]

A friend of mine has recently completed a house using EcoForm, a company based in Limerick and they are really pleased with the results.

You can get all the details from their website:

[broken link removed]

Hi,

Can you confirm if you have any connection with this company? I'm sure you will understand that a newly registered poster with only 2 posts both recommending the same company does attract attention.

did anyone manage to get those cost comparisons from marko after. I am thinking about using ICF and would like a look at it. I have been trying to do my own but it isn't easy to do.

did anyone manage to get those cost comparisons from marko after. I am thinking about using ICF and would like a look at it. I have been trying to do my own but it isn't easy to do.

If you get in touch with www.reward.ie they will e mail the relevant spread sheet.ICF is a little more expensive than trad build but it has to reduce with competition as its simple,quick and the materials to me cannot justify the charges.

Pudser

Pidser - Are you associated with Reward or have you gone though the quote process yourself?

When you say a little more expensive - by how much?

ninsaga

I know a guy in passing who built his house using ICF and if I remember correctly he had loads of grief with people pulling on the guy wires that held the forms in place and in one case driving into a guy wire and nearly pulling a gable down.

But if your job doesn't use guy wires it shouldn't be a problem.

I am not associated with reward but am going through the process at the momentand have the quote but being a liitle stupid around computers I cant attach it to this reply.
You are welcome to it
Pudser