Insulate between floors?

phkk

hi there....some people have been telling me not to insulate between the ground floor and the first floor of my new build....just wondering if anybody tried this and would you recommend it??? have my serious concerns about it....would it not make for uncomfortable living with draughts,heat rising to upstairs etc...just trying to imagine being in my sitting room and all the heat heading upstairs...would you not burn more fuel as a result??

would love to hear from people who dont have insulation in the ceiling...

cheers

What would be the point when the stairs in the house is opening up to the first floor landing?? I suppose you could always put insulated slab on the ceilings

I think there may be an advantage from the point of view of zoned heating arrangements. In a conventional build where (usually) sleeping accommodation is located on the first floor, it is normal to have this area zoned separately from the other habitable spaces in the house; therefore it may make sense to have this area insulated. If using a denser acoustic insulation (which also has good thermal insulating properties) it may make a lot of sense.

Back