Installing your own house Alarm?

belmaynebuye

Hi I was wondering has anyone ever bought an pre packed Alarm and gotten an eletrician (friend) to install it.

Im not sure if it would save much money but am just curious if anyone has done it.

Thanks

You can get wire free alarms these days and you just stick up the sensors. I think the batteries would be a pain though. Make sure you invest in good rechargeables.

In case it's relevant - you won't get any discount on your insurance premiums unless your alarm adheres to the relevant standards and is fitted by an authorised installer.

Also remember that if you are paying to have an alarm installed, the installed must be registered with the [broken link removed] under the Private Security Services Act.

ya i went through the same ordeal - buy the kit and get a friend to put it up but as everyone says you dont get the cert that is needed by the insurance companies.

Im getting mine done for about 640. The kit I wanted would of cost me about 420 euro so I decided to get the professionals to do it.

ya agree with Clubman...never any problem with alarms or certs until something happens and you need to make a claim...Insurance companies would use an excuse like that not to pay

for the sake of 40-50 e a year, you are better not telling them you have an alarm, even if you have the cert as if you forget to put it on, and get burgled they can invalidate your policy.

When I was getting my home insured i was asked had I an alarm, which i had. No standards wwere metnioned and no minimum standard appears on my insurance schedule. Is the standards thing across the board or just with certain insurers?

On all home insurance forms I have seen it asks if your home has an alarm fitted, if so what is the instakllers name & what is thier NSAI licence number. I am sure PSA licence number is probobly added to that now.

When I was getting my home insured i was asked had I an alarm, which i had. No standards wwere metnioned and no minimum standard appears on my insurance schedule. Is the standards thing across the board or just with certain insurers?
You really should review your cover and any conditions attaching to it as there is always a possibility that your cover could be declared null and void if your alarm does not match any required standards and your try to make a claim.