Installing Linux on Windows PC

hickey34

Im trying to install linux on my laptop which is Windows XP based. Ive download Ubuntu with the installer which installs the Linux OS and then gives the option to select which OS you want to run on start up.
However, it wont install properly and I havent got it to work after numerous attempts.
Can anyone advise me on a way to install a Linux OS which gives the option on startup of which OS to use?

The download is an iso which needs to be burned to a cd. Boot from the cd which will let you see if all features are available,ie wireless,sound etc.If you're happy with it post back and we'll help you install it while retaining xp.Is it ubuntu you're interested in?

Another option is to use the wubi installer available from here. If you put it and your ubuntu iso file into the same folder under Windows and run the wubi.exe it will install ubuntu into a folder under Windows and it will just modify your Windows boot menu to give an ubuntu option. It doesn't mess with your hard disk partitions or install a new bootloader. You can just rerun wubi.exe to uninstall ubuntu too.

The wubi imo isn't great because ubuntu runs very slowly in this setup.Its quicker using the live disc and even better when installed in its own partition(which isn't difficult to do)

The wubi imo isn't great because ubuntu runs very slowly in this setup.Its quicker using the live disc and even better when installed in its own partition(which isn't difficult to do)
I don't disagree with that, but it is handy. Installing inside Virtual Box is another option if one wanted to simply run Linux in a window within Windows. I run ubuntu as my base OS and use Virtual Box - which is a great piece of software - to run other OSs (XP with wubi ubuntu, and Windows 7) in a window.