Installing games on an external hard drive?

Hi guys

Is it possible to install games on an external hard drive and play them as normal from your PC/laptop. My brother has a problem with his laptop at the moment - the Dvd drive isn't reading discs so he can't install the games he wants but if I installed the game from my laptop direclty to this external hard drive would be able to play the game?

p.s. The game doesn't need to have the disc in the drive to play it

Probably not. Most likely the installer with stick stuff in the likes if C:\Program Files. C:\Windows, registry etc. that will not transfer on the external drive. Of course you could just try it and see if it works but I doubt it.

Probably not. Most likely the installer with stick stuff in the likes if C:\Program Files. C:\Windows, registry etc. that will not transfer on the external drive. Of course you could just try it and see if it works but I doubt it.

Thanks for the information. I will give it a go this weekend when I get home. Just wanted to see if anybody knew before hand so I would know before getting stuck into it.

Create a ISO image of the DVD/CD copy it onto the drive and mount the image.

Thanks for the information. I will give it a go this weekend when I get home. Just wanted to see if anybody knew before hand so I would know before getting stuck into it.

yea, you can install to any removable media at all so long as it has a drive letter or network name.

the reason why this wouldnt be a good idea, however, is that the read and write speed of USB is significantly slower than that of an internal drive, so a you will notice a performance hit - big time.

Back