Installing downlight over shower

albob

Hi,
I am hoping to install a spot light over the shower. I know I need to get a special light for this that is compliant to zone 1. B&Q have these for between 14 and 22 euro, depending on whether you want chrome finish etc. Anyway, on the packaging it says that it must be connected to a 30 mA RCD. I had hoped to connect it to the same wire that the main bathroom switch is connected to. Would this be ok? What rating RCD's are light circuits normally connected to? When I look at the fuse board, all the individual switches for the plugs/sockets/lights etc have no "mA" rating written on them. Then only switch that has a rating is a slighty larger one (1st on in the fuse box) and this has 30mA written on it. The electrician who wired the house has this switch labeled "RCD". Does this mean I am covered?
Thanks.

As Towger says, it wouldn't be standard practise to connect the lighting circuit to the RCD. In the event of a fault to an appliance during the night, this would result in you losing all your lights which would add to the risk.

Simplest way to find out is turn on the bathroom light, then turn off the RCD. Light stays on, it's not conected.
Leo

RECI newsletter April 2006
Announcement from ETCI regarding ET101

There have been major changes in Chapter 701.52: “Wiring systems”. All
circuits (lighting included) in the bathroom zones must be protected by a
30 mA RCD.​

Hi,
does this mean that if I turn on the bathroom light, turn off the RCD and the bathroom light goes off that I am covered? And if not, then I need another solution?
Also the downlights in B&Q do not require a transformer. I have also come across ones that have a transformer which drop the voltage to 12V. Would that be a safe solution if teh RCD is not connected?

By the way it might be helpful if you state your experience as part of the reply e.g. if you are an electrician then sorted
[I have a degree in Electrical and Electronic Eng.....buts its amazing how useless it is when it comes to down to earth real life problems!]

You could put a 10amp/30mA rcd in your board and supply your bathroom lights from this. i.e have all the bathrooms on a seperate circuit

don,t bother putting an rcd in your board for your lights, use the same wire thats already there, also it does not matter what voltage you use whether its 230v mains or 12 v through a transformer, it is the ip rating of the shower downlight the highest is IP 6 8, and you can normally tell the shower downlights as they cost more and the bulb is protected by an added sheath of glass, where as your normal downlights are not and you could actually touch and see the bulb

RECI newsletter April 2006
Announcement from ETCI regarding ET101

There have been major changes in Chapter 701.52: “Wiring systems”. All
circuits (lighting included) in the bathroom zones must be protected by a
30 mA RCD.

I don't think that made it into the final version. As far as I can see the original rules still apply, i.e.the only light fittings allowed in Zone 1 are SELV (12v) fed from a safety source outside the zone.

Zone 1 only extends up to 2.25m from the floor, above that is Zone 3, so if the ceiling above the shower is more than 2.25m normal rules about enclosed bathroom fittings apply.

I assume Zone 1 is 2.25m above the water source (which in this case is the shower on the wall). Unfortunately my ceiling is not that high! I have purchased a shower downlight with a 12V transformer. 25e in 4Home Stores. I know they are meant to be expensive but it was the only place I could find the 12V downlights. Everywhere else seemed to have the ones off the mains. Hopefully the 12V one will be a little safer.Certainly seems the safest bet for a self install!

No, it's 2.25m from the finished floor in the horizontal and 600mm around the shower outlet in the vertical.