installing a dishwasher? easy or hard?

S

susieq

hi,

getting a dishwasher delivered next week. Would i need to get a plumber to install it or is it straight forward enough?

im not a complete DIY novice however I dont want to attempt this as i may flood house if i get it wrong!!

has anyone ever connected one up? how would u rate difficulty on a scale of one to ten?

thanks

susieq said:
hi,

getting a dishwasher delivered next week. Would i need to get a plumber to install it or is it straight forward enough?

im not a complete DIY novice however I dont want to attempt this as i may flood house if i get it wrong!!

has anyone ever connected one up? how would u rate difficulty on a scale of one to ten?

thanks
One!!! Easy peasy! If under your sink is plumbed for it. You should have an upright waste pipe for the flexible drain hose (from the dishwasher) to fit in to. You should also have an water inlet with a blue plastic lever to switch on the water. If you have both of these, Bob's your uncle, if not get a plumber in. There should be a diagram in your instruction manual to show you where to put waste pipe and where to connect the water inlet hose, that's got a large plastic washer that fits over the inlet tap that should be just hand tightened, flick the blue lever and no more dishes in the sink! Good luck.

colli said:
One!!! Easy peasy! If under your sink is plumbed for it. You should have an upright waste pipe for the flexible drain hose (from the dishwasher) to fit in to. You should also have an water inlet with a blue plastic lever to switch on the water. If you have both of these, Bob's your uncle, if not get a plumber in. There should be a diagram in your instruction manual to show you where to put waste pipe and where to connect the water inlet hose, that's got a large plastic washer that fits over the inlet tap that should be just hand tightened, flick the blue lever and no more dishes in the sink! Good luck.

If your machine is a non-integrated one it's pretty straightforward, however integrated machines are a different matter. It can be difficult to level the machine and get the door lining up with the other cabinets etc.

Bought an integrated whirlpool dishwasher and plumbed it in. I have no idea about DIY; the whole area has passed me by.

I assumed that I would attach it to the cold water pipe and the machine would heat it up. Tried that and all I got was cold water in the machine.

I then attached it to the hot pipe under the sink. Now the water is hot but the cycle doesn't run through. It stops after about half an hour and starts beeping continuously till you open the door. If you close the door again the beeping continues.

Please adavise as I am a bit of a half wit in this area

A dishwasher should only be connected to the cold feed. Take a look at the manual for trouble shooting.
Leo

Check which programme it's running. Some have a cold rinse setting that justs rinses the dirt and lets you load more dishes later on before hot washing the lot. Most have 5 or 6 settings.

Which is better as far as the dishwasher waste pipe is concerned?
(a) attach to the overflow pipe (using the u shaped pipe holder)
(b) to connect to the pipe that drains the sink.
If I choose (b) do I need to implement some air gap system to prevent water flowing back into the dishwasher via it's waste pipe?
Also, for connecting the water into the dishwasher, is it just a simple task of connecting the right-angle dishwasher pipe to the cold water outlet (with the blue valve) with some silicon plumbing tape on the threads or should there be some other connection in between? (the dishwasher came with a 3 inch rubber pipe with some clips)

Just wondering what method did most people use when plumbing the dishwasher waste pipe - overflow pipe or sink pipe?

i was lucky to have 2 waste pipes under the sink...one plumbed for the sink waste, the other lying idle. i got so fed up of washing dishes whilst waiting for a plumber to come to do this job that i took the instructions out and installed it myself. so glad i did becasue it was so easy in the end (had previously done the washing machine)! I hadn't looked at the waste pipe situation prior to this and had assumed I'd have to have dishwasher plumbed to sink waste which i wouldn't have chanced! as such, u-bend connection thingy working like a charm. would have been so annoyed to have a plumber come to do that minor bit of plumbing, charge me a fortune whilst rubbing his hands in glee at another easy number - if he/she ever turned up!

as for the water connection...i just connected it to the cold supply by twistin it on...no need for any clips of anything...very similiar to a washing machine! but again the cold water pipe was lying idle!!

Back