Installing a Central Vacum system DIY

Zutz

How easy are these systems to intall? How long would it take? I have been quoted €500 for installation and wondering if its a DIY job?

I did my own, but then I was been charged almost €1000 by the supplier if he fitted it.

It's definately a DIY job, but does take a bit of timemaybe a day per fix, depending on number of points etc, and where you are placing the Unit, mine is in a garage 10m from the house, so this added complications to the install.

Beam have a DIY DVD to show the steps, there are three stages to installation

first fix- before plastering,
second fix- before screed,
and final fix - after decoration of house.

qwerty ?

Just out of interest how much did all the equipment cost you ? And what size house did you install it into ?

Im just planning my build at the moment .. 1st architect visit on monday and a central vacum is something I might have my eye on if the budget will stretch .

To be honest I would only consider one of these systems if the house was absolutely vast. They seem a little.... yesteryear, is the best way I can think of putting it,

So much that can go wrong, so much expense compared to the cost of a perfectly good vacuum cleaner.

€1400-1500 i think. It's for a 3500 sq foot house, three points downstairs, two upstairs, and a vac pan in the kitchen plinth. It's a Beam that I have, but look into other types too, they may be better.

We weren't even going to consider putting in one, until a brochure was left into the house by a saleman, and I thought no harm in talking to him and pricing one. I have to say, it is a fantastic addition to a house, especially if you plan on using wooden floors, which need hoovering quite a bit.
It is generally one of the recommendations I make to people who ask me for advice on building a house.

Not taking offense Extopia, but whats yesteryear about it? Its just a domestic appliance, with the added comfort of not having to drag a hoover behind you, bumping off furniture and not having to replug the power cord in to another socket when you move into the next room.

I suppose the only thing that can go wrong is something getting blocked in the pipe, hope this never happens. But apparently you can bring the hoover unit to the nearest point to the blockage and HOPE it sucks the blockage back. Not planning on ever having to try that.

Hope I didn't offend. I don't mean it's unfashionable, just that you don't hear as much about these systems as you used to and to be honest I think they were a bit faddish. Just my opinion.

Your house is fairly sizeable so perhaps it's worth it to you. Personally I have no problem moving a hoover around my (admittedly smaller) properties. Agree with you about the wooden floors but again, a good hoover does me fine.