Installing a back boiler in timber frame house

elainem

I have a timber frame house, built about 10 years ago. I would like to install a back boiler behind my sitting room fire. However, the responses I've got so far is that the cost would be about €15,000, or that it is not possible because the chimney would have to be double lined due to risk of timber frame structure catching fire. Any advice or options welcome. Has anyone else come across this problem in timber frame house, and how good or bad is the above quote? Thanks.

I assume you already have a fire place and chimney and that you light fires in it. I don't understand why having a back boiler would increase risk of house burning down. However putting backboiler in now will be a lot of work and very messy. A lot of plumbing and building work has to be done.

Thanks DavyJones for your reply. Exactly how much building work are you talking about, and how messy would it be. Would it involve digging up floors (which are concrete)? Thanks. Elainem.

If you have a fireplace already - presuming a standard concrete one - then you won't need new foundations or anything - but your floor coverings will in all likelihood get ruined if not very well covered up.

If, as Davy says, you have a conc one, you can just fit a new back boiler unit into the space - but it's the plumbing etc that'll be a nightmare. You may have to, actually if you don't, it'll be a miracle - cut some ceilings, floors upstairs etc etc, and re-plumb the system. It won't be hard to spend 15k on it, I'm sure, what with all the re-plastering, etc......

Personally, I see no merit in it whatsoever - besides, why do you want a back boiler in a TF house - surely it's not cold, or anything?

A back boiler is a iron box full of water that sits in the fireplace instead of the fire back, fireplace comes out, fire back comes out, holes have to be made in the chimney breast to let pipes out. you'll need to run pipes from BB to cylinder (which will have to be replaced with a dual coil type) lots of making good afterwards. As galwaytt says, its probably not worth the money/hassle. Could you fit a small wood burning stove with BB inbuilt in front of fire place?